Topnotch Private Guiding Around Southern Africa
I offer customized itineraries and highly personalized, guided tours to suit your holiday style. My tours are about exploring South Africa: meeting the people, understanding the issues, seeing the juxtaposition of luxury and poverty and illuminating the challenges, dreams and beauty of our Rainbow Nation.
I love nature and people and most tours incorporate a Gae Park experience of some description. I also lead hiking tours around Southern Africa 21 days from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Mail me for details of this tour.
My passions on tour:
1. Enable guests to learn about the entire country from Chobe to the Cape whilst always having FUN.
2. Select charming guest houses & hotels where we relax, are enjoy great African hospitality in places of great natural beauty.
- Choose wineries of quality and ambiance
- Facilitate meaningful conversations between guests and locals
- Tour the entire country sharing the story of its development
- Show through discussion of economics, history and social study, the distance traveled and the roadblocks ahead
- Select and share good local food and shopping experiences
- Find spots of great natural beauty
- Share arts and crafts both black and white and in the colours of the new South Africa
- Can relate to, and engage with, the children of guests!
After 24 years abroad, my wife Jenny and I returned to Cape Town where I began my new life as a tour guide, touring throughout the Southern portion of Africa. I have been a private guide for many large international companies, visiting Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Swaziland as well as the whole of South Africa.
My specialized skills and experience have enabled me to conduct very successful tours over the last nine years with people of varying ages and backgrounds. I am rather proud of all the wonderful personal comments of my previous tour groups - read them here.
My interests include fine dining and Cape wines. I lead hiking tours around Southern Africa and love the flora & fauna of the country. I am passionate about people and my hobbies are tennis, snow skiing, good cinema, theatre and I particularly love hiking in nature. I cook well and have a good sense of humor as well as patience and great organizational skills.
On overland tours I get locals to interact with the tourists, thus enriching their experience. I am fascinated by the variety of artistic talents of the population of this country - whether in music, ceramics, art or dance. I incorporate some of this in trips as appropriate.
I volunteer for Education Without Borders [EwB], a Canadian NGO assisting in Leadership Development at Fezeka Secondary School in Gugulethu near Cape Town.
“Dream again” is the goal of our inspirational talks for grade nines.
In my tours, I reveal the intricacy of this exciting ‘Rainbow Nation,’ through my eyes and our shared experiences.
I am a registered national guide, a member of Cape Town Tourism and have the appropriate experience, certification and licenses to conduct these tours successfully. My commentaries are in English and German. I can recommend and organize accommodation, make reservations and organize transportation and guiding.As a registered National Guide I also hold a Public Driving Permit and a renewable first aid certificate.
Most of all, I promise fun in any weather and of course, topnotch service!